Did you know that though you’ll likely pay your architect as much as 10% of your total construction cost, hiring one can help you save money? So, it’s really wise to hire an architect.
But how much is the actual architect cost for drawing plans in the Philippines and why is it important to hire one?
Architect Cost for Drawing a House Plan
According to the guidelines released by the United Architects of the Philippines (UAP) through the Official Gazette, the recommended fee for an architect to draw a house plan are the following:
- 10% of the total projected cost of construction if you need Detailed Architectural and Engineering Design Services (DAEOS)
- 6% of the total projected cost of construction if you just need Detailed Architectural Design Services (DADS)
Breakdown of Architect Costs
According to Aranen Architects, the fee isn’t really fixed. It can be bigger or smaller, depending on the architect, how big the house will be, and what type of materials will be used. Although it could still be around 10% of the house cost.
Customers can also request a discount from the architect.
In a post on Facebook, Aranen Architects explained that there are three items that comprise the Total Direct Cost Outlay for the house:
- Design Fee
- Printing Cost
- Signing and Sealing
Cost of Design Fees
The design fee is comprised of the architect’s fee and the construction documents fee which includes the complete sets of architectural, plumbing and sanitary, electrical, and structural documents.
Aranen Architects explained that you can estimate how much you’ll pay the architect in fees.
Usually, the architect’s fee is around Php150 per square meter for simple house plans. But this can go as high as Php200 to Php250 for more complex plans.
There’s also a separate fee for rendering which usually costs around Php2,500.
As an example, they estimated the architect’s fee at Php32,500 for a 2-story 200 sqm house (at Php150 per sqm plus rendering fees).
Construction documents could cost a total of Php20,200 for that house:
- Architectural: 3 sheets x 1,500php = 4,500 php
- Structural: 3 sheets x 1,500php = 4,500 php
- Plumbing/Sanitary: 3 sheets x 1,200php = 3,600 php
- Electrical: 2 sheets x 1,300php = 2,600 php
- Computation of Loads & Analysis = 5,000 php
So, it’s an estimated total of Php57,700 for the design fees.
This will depend on a number of factors, but according to Aranen Architects, it’s around Php6,020 for the house example above.
Cost of Signing and Sealing
The signing and sealing of the plans involve other building professionals. Again, Aranen Architects provides some ballpark figures:
- Php 60 per sqm for the Architect
- Php 50 per sqm for the Civil/ Structural Engineer
- Php 40 per sqm for the Master Plumber
- Php 30 per sqm for the P. Electrical Engineer
So, the signing and sealing for the plan of the sample house above costs Php36,000.
Then, you must add an extra 10% of the direct cost for overhead expenses and utilities your architect needs to prepare and complete your plans.
So, this will be the final computation:
DIRECT COST = Design Fee + Printing Cost + Signing & Sealing
- DIRECT COST = Php57,700 + Php6,020 + Php 36,000
- DIRECT COST = Php 99,720
Then, the total fee outlay will be:
TOTAL FEE OUTLAY = Direct Cost + 10% Overhead Expenses
- Total Fee Outlay = Php 99,720 + Php 9,972
- Total Fee Outlay = Php 109,692 for the sample 2-story 200-sqm house
Importance of Hiring an Architect
It’s easy to find a lot of house plans on the internet these days. Plus, the architect cost can be quite big! So, you might think that it’s unnecessary to hire an architect. But that’s not always true.
Here are some important reasons why you should hire an architect:
- Architects can plan your house design based on your actual needs.
- Architects can create the right budgeting and material selection for your home.
- Architects can help avoid design errors in your home.
- Architects can help you build energy-efficient homes.
- Architects can help coordinate with different services and legally process your house’s papers.
- Architects can help you build a beautiful yet also sturdy house.